Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Last day

21 June 2010                                                      Jyamirkot

Today was the last day of the workshop- sad face.  Breakfast this morning was a change; we had kheer (rice pudding).  I was a little apprehensive to eat it, but Piero let me try some of his first.  It was pretty good, very sweet.  So, a welcome change from all the spicy foods here.

This morning after breakfast we continued to work on models.  Before that, though, because Lok dai was leaving soon, we did a discussion on how everyone felt about the workshop.  As this was the first of its kind at LASANAA, it was really good to get feedback on the process, as well as the project itself.  The response was overwhelmingly positive.  In fact, I don’t think there were any major negative comments at all.  I was recording this, so along the way Ashmina would translate what was said.  It was great for me to really be involved in the process.  I also learned that I was one of a very few number of people “in the know,” as most people came to the workshop without knowing what was going to happen.

The responses were so great.  Everyone got to bond really well, which was good as everyone didn’t know each other beforehand.  Lok dai even said that through this, Piero and I became sort of ‘honorary’ Nepalis, which feels pretty cool.  Although< I guess if I’m Nepali now I should definitely learn the language better.  Also, artistically, it seemed through the comments that everyone has grown tremendously.

After that session we continued working on models, with the goal to finish them before the presentation.  For awhile I was feeling a little bored as there was just no room to work (plus I wasn’t sure exactly what they were doing with the model), but eventually I kept myself occupied by making leaves for the trees and attaching them, as well as cutting out tiles (cardboard) for the roof.  It was really enjoyable for me, and it seems like everyone else was having fun too.

Eventually the time came for presentations: one model for this location, one model for the Kathmandu location.  Both models were well-received, although the Kathmandu one got a little more criticism.  However, as Ashmina said, this is just the beginning of the process.  These models can be, and need to be, developed more over time.  In a couple of weeks Ashmina is going to invite an architect or two here to check out the model and the land available.  I’ve already decided that whenever this place opens, I will come back to Nepal to see it.

Once the presentations were finished, we went back to the small house for a small bit to eat before most people left.  After eating I was requested to dance, as during last night’s go-around I mentioned that I have been dancing for 18 years and people wanted to see it.  I did a couple of Irish pieces, which went over well.  I’m pretty sure for most everyone this was their first experience of it.  Some other people sang, a good time was had by all and then eventually people had to elave.

After they left, those of us still here went to the third floor to clean up and pack up everything.  Once that was done we went back to the small house, where Ashmina and I worked on translating/transcribing Lok dai’s comments, which were quite long (something over 8 minutes) but very interesting, as I have already referenced.  We all sat around for awhile after and I played with Aba a bit more (note: he loves water bottles).  He is just so absolutely adorable.  It’s great- he still gets a kick out of peek-a-boo, and I still get a kick out of playing it, so it works out great for everyone.  I also started singing the Shark Attack song, but only got to baby shark as he wanted to clap my hands together for me.

A little while later I went inside to help Piero cook diner- pasta and sauce.  I learned how to make real sauce, not from a jar!  I’m going to try to make some when I get home.  After dinner was pretty quiet, and now it’s just bedtime before we get up and pack to leave tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment