Thursday, July 22, 2010

Holiday abroad

4 July 2010                           10:20pm                               Old Baneshwor

Happy birthday, America!  This was the first year that for the holiday, I’ve done absolutely nothing.  Well, nothing celebratory anyway.  I did do other stuff.  Today was the continuation of yesterday’s conference, thankfully starting later than it did yesterday.  The first part was great, it talked a lot about victims which was really fascinating.  I missed most of the second half as I had an interview to conduct.  I must say, I got a pretty good overview on Nepali newspapers, which helps me frame everything I’ve been looking at.

After my interview and a brief stop back in the conference to catch a little bit of Rhoderick Chalmers’s talk, I left with Dee to go to our meeting at Café Mitra.  I had a meeting with one of our advisors, and was  basically told to throw out all the research I’ve already done and start at a different point in time with a slightly different focus.  I was also told that with interviews, I need to do some research before and come up with some in-depth questions.  No shit, I’m not an idiot.  I’m just getting so frustrated with getting my topics criticized (or ‘refined’) every week.  I already lost the first two weeks, which means I’m that much further behind everyone in terms of this project.  If I get it done in time it’ll be a miracle.

After that frustrating meeting I went with some people to Café Kaldi (where else?) to grab something snack-like before heading home.  Even though I missed out on all the traditional 4th foods, I at least got some chicken fingers and French fries today.  Oh, and a delicious chocolate soufflé.

Sadly, after getting home, my idea of relaxing was reading the ICRC report I got at the conference, written by Simon Robins.  So far it’s really good.  I also worked on my op-ed article.  My goal is to get the draft done by Tuesday/Wednesday and then send it off for comments before I submit the final draft for publication.  Hopefully I can get all that done before we go to Pokhara.

No comments:

Post a Comment