Monday, July 12, 2010

I'm a big fat liar.

1 July 2010          8:35pm          Old Baneshwor

I've been feeling lately like my life is boring, there's not much to write.  Work, home.  Sometimes work, cafe, home.  And work doesn't change, it's all newspapers, all day long.  I think yesterday was the worst day of my cold.  About halfway through the day I just started feeling terrible and eventually left around 3 as I couldn't focus on anything (plus, that's when I ran out of tissues).  I went to Cafe Kaldi to try and relax, and also to get work done.  This time, I brought a to-do list.  Before I went there, though, I stopped at the grocery store to get some tissues; and also the cookies I got there before that were so good.

I actually ordered food there for once, as I was hungry and planning on staying awhile.  I also got my usual chocolate smoothie, which felt so nice as I have been denied cold things by Kaki while I’m sick.  No chiso paani, not even Coca-Cola (which she took away from me at dinner after remembering that I was still sick).  Of course, after I ordered everything the waiter tells me the wi-fi isn’t working well.  That sucks, it’s the only reason I go there!  For me at least the network was completely not working.  I ended up stealing internet from a neighbor of the café with an unlocked wireless signal.


After working for awhile I went home and started re-arranging my freshly clean clothes (I'm quite particular about the fold).  While I was doing that Kaki came in, and saw me putting away my kurti.  She asked if I liked clothes like that and I said yes.  A few minutes later she called me up to her room, where she had a whole pile of kurtis and fabric laid out.  She had me sit down, and showed me each one individually, asking me to pick one that I liked, and we would go have my measurements taken.  I was in such disbelief!  I felt kind of bad, I think part of it has to do with Happy (because apparently she's the bad one) tearing to shreds the bottom of one of my dresses sometime when it was drying.  I could be wrong but I feel like part of this is her trying to replace it, which she definitely didn't have to do.  After I picked out some cloth (the pre-made shirts were a little too ostentatious for my taste), Kaki started pulling out some bracelets and having me try them on.  She ended up giving me 7 bracelets, or as I believe, just about all the ones she had that would fit on my wrist.  Surprisingly, her hands are much smaller than mine.  I felt bad enough, like not only was she buying me things but she was giving me her stuff too, when she also gave me one of her hair clips.  It really all was too much.


This morning, before I went to work, Kaki took me to the store to get my measurements taken.  I ended up being late to work, but I will say that it's hard when you're walking 40 minutes to get there.  Work was good, and I even had my first lunch there (they offered it yesterday but I felt too terrible to eat it).  After work I met up with Keesler so that I could finally go over to see her house and play with her puppy!


So, the puppy is a one month old German Shepherd named Walter.  He's too cute, and he's so tiny!  I spent a while at Keesler's, playing with the puppy ant talking to her and her host sister.  After awhile I caught a taxi back as it was getting late.  When I got home I found the house mostly dark, except Uma in my room watching tv.  I feel bad, it seems like she hardly ever gets to relax (or sit on the furniture).  So, I just turned on the lights and sat to watch tv/do some writing.


As it turns out, Kaki and Prashant are at a party so I ate alone tonight.  I have a confession to make.  I've been complaining a lot about dal bhat, about how much I'm sick of it and how I never want to see it again.  I'm such a liar.  I love dal bhat, I can't get enough of it!  I would be happy to eat it for lunch and dinner all the time!  Not breakfast though, that's a little too much.  I want to find a really good recipe for it to take back home.  I'll spread the word, I'll make it a lot.


I can't believe it's July already.  And Sunday is the 4th of July!  This will be my first Independence Day not in America.  It feels kind of sad.  Imagine, two years ago I was in the nation's capital and here I am now, in the capital of another country halfway across the world.  It feels so strange, knowing how far away everything is.

No comments:

Post a Comment