Friday, July 2, 2010

Worst idea ever

29 June 2010                      5:53pm                 Old Baneshwor

Well, today my big brother would be proud of me.  I successfully broke into my own house.  When I got home the gate was locked and someone in the downstairs apartment let me in after a few minutes of knocking.  I almost thought I was going to have to jump the fence (luckily we don’t have one with glass shards poking out of it).  I got upstairs to the front door, and it was locked.  I could have sworn I heard voices, and I banged on the door and called out for a few minutes, but nothing happened.  I went out to the balcony thinking I could chill there and then realized that the dog’s balcony (the one the dog stays on) was in jumping distance.  (Ok, it was really more like stepping distance, but jumping sounds more exciting.)  I figured the door was unlocked because there would logically be no reason to lock it.  So, I put my bag down in front of the door, went out to the balcony, and climbed over to the next one.  Luckily, the door was open, and now here I am in my room again.

This morning I realized after awhile that nobody else was leaving the house and that I wouldn’t have a ride to work.  I set out to walk, and figured at least I’d see how long it takes to get there.  Not too bad- about 40 minutes.  I definitely need to make sure I’m wearing walking shoes next time I do that, because I have massive blisters on my toesies.  On the bright side, the pain in my toes is taking attention away from the pain in my upper foot.

I finally found some fascinating news today!  In mid-August 2007, one of the Maoist-affiliated unions had shut down two newspapers’ productions for about 5 days because they published something the union didn’t like.  It at least explained why August 11-15 was missing from The Himalayan Times.  So at least I finally got something exciting at work.

I also discussed with Seira the book they want me to edit.  It’s only 250 pages, which isn’t too bad.  Then I realized that it’s all academic stuff and it actually may take me forever to get through.  Because of the tight schedule I mentioned possibly reading it while we’re away, as I don’t have any work to do and would possibly have some free time.  Seira said it sounded like the worst idea ever (in an ‘eww reading academics on vacation’ kind of way).  I had to laugh.  Then again, I’m the person who would bring course books to read on rugby trips because I had to get them read sometime, and hey!  A two hour bus ride!  I know I’m quite unusual.

Hopefully tomorrow I’ll make it to Keesler’s to see her puppy.  I would have today except for these stupid blisters.  Tomorrow I’ll put on proper shoes, aka flip flops.  I’m surprised they’re not worn out yet, I did get them last summer.  Well, there’s a reason I only buy the expensive ones.

Sadly, I think I’m getting sick.  I’m getting a pretty sore throat and yesterday I felt nauseous.  My nose has been running, so hopefully it’s just a summer cold and post-nasal drip.  Although how I got a cold is beyond me, it’s so damn hot!  (Terrible joke.)  Honestly, it might be from the workshop- Junu had a pretty disgusting cough.  Luckily I have some chow-chow and water, which should help me feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment